To view and print Cooper Real Estate Application Form Click Here

* Please note additional information required to be provided with your application.


You have inspected a rental property and it’s everything you want in a home.  What’s the process to secure it?

To start, you need to fill out an application form. A Cooper Real Estate tenancy application form can be downloaded from our website and you can fill it in and have it ready to complete and submit at the property inspection. As the information we require is essentially the same for each property, once you have filled out one application form you can photocopy it and fill in the property details when you find properties that you’d like to apply to rent.

A word of caution. We will not accept applications from people who have not inspected a property.

It’s important to also have all the required supporting documents handy. It’s highly recommend that you have a copy of some of the documents listed below so that you can verify your identity by meeting your requirement for 100 points minimum including one form of Photo ID.

  • Drivers License or Passport (Photo ID) = 40 Points

  • Proof of age card = 25 Points

  • Student ID = 25 Points

  • Bank Statement = 25 Points

  • Utilities Account = 25 Points

  • Current Payslip (proof of income) = 20 Points

  • Medicare Card = 20 Points

  • Concession / Pension Card = 15 Points

    We’ll check your references and verify the information you have provided and depending on how quickly people get back to us, this may take a few days.  If there are multiple people applying for the same property we may make recommendations based on our reference checking, but the landlord will usually make the final decision on who they would prefer as a tenant for their property.


    When we give you the good news that you’ve secured the property you want we’ll also implement plans to ensure that you understand your obligations as a tenant. We’ll take the time to discuss everything in detail with you.

    Your appointment time – we’ll allocate a specific time and date for your tenancy induction.  This session will take about 30 minutes. As you can appreciate, we have lots of appointments during the day and so it’s really crucial that you are on time for your appointment, otherwise we may have to reschedule you for either later in the day or another day. If you believe you will be late, even by just a few minutes, please call us to let us know.

    Who needs to attend the appointment – all approved tenants on the lease need to be present for tenancy induction (any adult who has signed the lease). If there are extenuating circumstances and a tenant cannot attend please call us to advise at least 24 hours before the appointment.

    During your Tenancy Induction we will go through the following with you:

  • Tenancy agreement – the specific details of your tenancy with us.

  • Payment of rent – how to pay your rent.

  • Zero tolerance late rent policy – rent must always be paid on time and we will explain our policy for rent payments.

  • Bond lodgement – you will sign the lodgement form that will accompany the lodgement of your Bond with our state bond authority.

  • Property Condition Report – we will explain the importance of this report, how you will need to sign off on the report and how you can request amendments or add information to this report.

  • Repairs and emergency repair procedures.

  • Tenant Responsibilities During Tenancy.

  • Consumer Affair’s Tenancy Handbook will be issued to you.

  • Monies receipted – we will issue you with a receipt for your payment of any rent/bond, (unless we have previously given you a receipt.)

    Please note: connection of gas, electricity, telephone and water are the responsibility of the tenant. However, Cooper Real Estate can refer you to Yourporter – a  utilities connection company that can organise connections for all services on your behalf (at no charge ). Your Cooper Real Estate Tenancy Application Form has a section that needs to be completed to ensure this is done on time for move in date.

    No cash Bond policy – we have a no cash Bond policy, therefore we ask you to provide us with a Bank Cheque or an Australia Post Money Order. We regret that we are unable to accept a personal or a company cheque.

    Bank Cheques/Money Orders for Bond – Bond cheques must be made out to: Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (Bond monies are not held by us, but by the Bond Authority).

    Lodgement of Bond

    Your bond will be lodged with our state bond authority and you can expect confirmation from them indicating your Bond lodgement number.

    Possession of your rental property. 

    We will grant you possession of the property on your Tenancy Start Date (as per your signed tenancy agreement), as long as the following has occurred:

  • Rent – the agreed rent has been received by our agency.

  • Bond – your full bond payment has been received by our agency.

    Important – keys won’t be issued early

    It is important to note that for legal and security reasons we are unable to issue keys early, or grant you access to the property any earlier than the allocated tenancy start date.

    Property Condition Report

    Please ensure that you return your signed/amended copy of your property condition report to us within 3 business days of the tenancy start date. This is really important because if this is not returned then the original inspection information will be used for end of tenancy condition comparison, regardless of whether you agree to the original report or not.


    It is crucial that you arrange your own tenant contents insurance as should your goods be damaged or destroyed by circumstances affecting the property (i.e. fire, storm damage, power outages etc) then your goods and possessions are not insured by the Landlord.

    Example 1: An electrical fault in the building starts a fire and the property is destroyed. Your possessions will not be covered by the Landlord’s insurance.

    Example 2: A storm blows a tree onto the house and in the process your belongings are damaged. The Landlord’s insurance will not cover your possessions.

    Good tenant contents insurance should cover your goods for situations such as these and we recommend that you ensure all your goods are adequately insured and the owner/agent will not be liable for damaged or destroyed tenant possessions.


    As a tenant or resident, you are responsible for paying the rent and must continue to pay it when it is due.  You cannot stop paying rent, even if:

  • the landlord or owner refuses to do repairs

  • you are in the last month of your rental agreement

  • you have given notice that you intend to vacate

  • you have been given a notice to vacate.

    If you are paying the rent by electronic funds transfer  (EFT), make sure you leave enough time (at least 24 hours) for the money to go into the nominated account; otherwise your rent may be late. With payment methods such as Bpay or Rentcard, it can take up to three days for funds to be cleared.


    General Repairs

    We require all requests for repairs to be lodged in writing. You can lodge repair request via our online maintenance request form or, use the provided maintenance/repair request forms which were given to you at the commencement of your tenancy.  Maintenance requests can be submitted via our website, by email, fax or post.

    Emergency Repairs

    Emergency repairs are generally those that could cause injury to the tenant or damage to the property, and may include:

  • a burst water service

  • a blocked or broken toilet system

  • a serious roof leak

  • a gas leak

  • a dangerous electrical fault

  • flooding or serious flood damage

  • serious storm or fire damage

  • a failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided by your landlord or agent for hot water, water, cooking, heating, or laundering

  • failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity, or water supply

  • any fault or damage in the premises that makes the premises unsafe or insecure

  • an appliance, fitting or fixture that is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted

  • a serious fault in a lift or staircase

    After hours emergency repairs

    Should an emergency repair be required after hours then you need to call the Cooper Real Estate office that manages your property or check the documentation provided to you at the start of your lease to get the contact number for after-hours emergency repairs.

    Please Note: It is always important to know the difference between an emergency or general repair. Getting this wrong may be costly to the tenant if the repair is conducted afterhours. More information on what constitutes emergency repairs can be found in the Consumer Affairs Tenancy Handbook.


    Contact Details

    Once your new contact details are available, for example landline phone number and postal address (if different from your residential rental property address), please email these details to us.

    Additional keys or changed locks

    If you wish to make additional copies of keys please let us know so we can record the number of extra keys. It is important to note that at the conclusion of your tenancy we will need back all keys given to you at the start of your tenancy and any additional copies created during your tenancy period. If you change the locks during tenancy, you must provide us with a full new set of keys for property access – this is particularly important in case you lock yourself out, but is also required by law.

    Routine Inspections

    We will conduct a routine inspection of the property after the first 3 months and approximately every 6 months thereafter. The main purpose is to reassure the owner that you are maintaining the property and also to check for any repairs that may need doing – in which case we will make a recommendation to the owner that they be done.

    To document our inspection we will take photos or we may even video the property and any repairs required.  We respect your privacy and therefore it is our policy to not photograph or film tenant’s possessions.

    Routine Inspection Guide – What we look out for at the inspection:

    Inside the property

  • That walls, light switches, doorways and doors are clean from marks and/or holes.

  • The carpets are clean and stain free.

  • The windows and screens are clean and intact.

  • The kitchen area clean and oven/stove top is free of burnt-on food and carbon staining.

  • Shower, bathroom, toilet and laundry are clean (including tiling).

  • All areas and rooms are fully accessible (not locked).

  • No noticeable new damage.

    Outside the property

  • The lawns are freshly cut/edged and maintained.

  • Gardens are tidy and presentable – weeds removed.

  • Rubbish and lawn/garden clippings removed.

  • No unregistered car bodies on the property.

  • Oil stains removed from carports, garages and driveways.

  • All outside areas, garages, store rooms etc are all accessible.

  • Swimming pool and/or spa are clean (if applicable).

    If you have an approved pet/s

  • Droppings have been removed.

  • Pet damage or rubbish has been repaired and cleaned up.

    Please note:  Dogs must be restrained for the inspection.


    If you have misplaced your keys you may come to your managing Cooper Real Estate office during business hours, pay a deposit of $50 and borrow our office set. The deposit will be refunded once all keys have been returned. If you have misplaced your keys after hours, you may call a locksmith to assist you back into the property – this is at your cost.


    If damage to the property has occurred – inflicted by yourself, your visitors or by natural causes you must let us know immediately, or on the next business day (if incident occurred on a weekend or public holiday).


    Unless a pet is specifically noted on your tenancy agreement, you must get permission before you get one. Some landlords allow pets, some don’t. This can also vary if living in units or apartments where Owners Corporation rules are effective. If you have permission to keep a pet and your pet dies, it does not automatically mean you can replace it with another (e.g. If your cat dies you cannot get a dog without approval).

    Also if you have a small dog (e.g. Fox Terrier) you can not necessarily replace it with a large dog (e.g. German Shepherd).

    If in doubt ask your property manager. No pets are allowed in apartments, units or duplexes unless stated otherwise.

    CONDITIONS OF TENANCY – who is responsible.

    Condition of the premises

  • The landlord must ensure that the premises are maintained in good repair, and

  • If the landlord owns or controls the common areas, take reasonable steps to ensure that the common areas are maintained in good repair.

    Damage to the premises

  • The tenant must ensure that care is taken to avoid damaging the rented premises.

  • The tenant must take reasonable care to avoid damaging the premises and any common areas.

  • The tenant who becomes aware of damage to the rented premises must give notice to the landlord of any damage to the premises as soon as practicable.

    Cleanliness of the premises

  • The landlord must ensure that the premises are in a reasonably clean condition on the day on which it is agreed that the tenant is to enter into occupation of the premises.

  • The tenant must keep the premises in a reasonably clean condition during the period of agreement.

    Use of premises

  • The tenant must not use or allow the premises to be used for any illegal purpose.

  • The tenant must not use or allow the premises to be used in such a manner as to cause a nuisance or cause an interference with the reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of any occupier of neighbouring premises.

    Quiet enjoyment

  • The landlord must take all reasonable steps to ensure that the tenant has quiet enjoyment of the premises.

    Assignment or sub-letting

  • The tenant must not assign or sub-let the whole or any part of the premises without the written consent of the landlord. The landlord’s consent must not be unreasonably withheld.

  • The landlord must not demand or receive any fee or payment for the consent, except in respect of any fees, costs or charges incurred by the landlord in relation to the preparation of a written assignment of the agreement.

    Residential Tenancies Act 1997

  • Each party must comply with the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

  • For further rights and duties refer to the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.


    Your Cooper Real Estate Property Manager is the liaison between the landlord and the tenant. Sometimes a landlord will engage a property manager just to advertise a property for rent, carry out the open for inspections and to check references and recommend a tenant and that’s the end of the relationship – the tenant deals directly with the landlord from that point on.

    In other cases, the Property Manager has been given the job of managing the entire tenancy.  However it’s important to realise that a Property Manager is just the “middle man” between the tenant and the landlord.  When a tenant makes a request for repairs or maintenance, this request is passed on to the landlord, but the Property Manager has to wait for authorisation from the landlord to authorise any repairs apart from those that are designated by the legislation as “emergency repairs”.  Sometimes this can be frustrating for a tenant wanting something fixed, but rest assured, your Property Manager is working had to get a resolution for you from the landlord.


    It is expected that the property be kept reasonably clean and this is also a tenancy agreement requirement.

    Walls, switches, power points, skirting, doors and doorways – keep these free from marks and dirty finger marks.

    Cobwebs/dusting – remove cobwebs to windows, walls and ceilings. Keep vents dusted. Light fittings and ceiling fans – dust them regularly.

    Blinds – keep these cleaned and dust-free

    Windows/sills/window tracks and flyscreens – keep these regularly cleaned and dusted. Note: most modern windows are easily removed from their tracks by lifting the sliding window up at the bottom, and pulling this out for easy cleaning.

    Floors – keep these regularly swept and mopped. Floors in the kitchen and wet areas may need to be scrubbed to keep surfaces, tiles and grouting looking clean.

    Ventilation – ensure that all rooms are kept adequately ventilated to avoid problems associated with condensation, causing mould and possible health problems.

    Wet Areas, bathroom, toilet and laundry grouting/tiles – ensure all tiles are kept free from grime, soap scum and mould.

    Air Conditioners – regularly clean any filters and intake vents to ensure there is no build-up of dirt and/or dust, and that the unit is able to draw in air effectively, not hindering performance, or in the worst case scenario, causing the unit to breakdown resulting in costly repairs and/or replacement. Always ensure that power to the unit is turned off.

    Please also note that if an air conditioner breaks down due to filters and vents not being kept clean, costs to rectify the damage or even replace the unit may be charged to tenants. This may also apply to some heating units.

    Heaters – tenants must ensure any combustion heaters are kept clean of ash build up, and also ensure a protective mat is placed in front of the heater to protect against coals and ash falling out and singeing/damaging carpets or floors. For other heaters, please ensure that no combustible or flammable material is placed on or near heaters to avoid a fire risk.

    Fireplaces –  if the property you are renting has a fireplace, this cannot be used unless you have been given permission from us in writing. Sometimes these are ornamental, or the flue/chimney has been blocked up. Using them could cause a fire to occur. If permission is given for you to use the fireplace, please ensure a spark catcher is used at all times in front of the fire to protect carpets and flooring from coal burns and ash damage.

    Potted Plants – must be kept outside the residence at all times. Potted plants placed inside on hard surfaces like tiles and linoleum, may leave a circular indent, stains and damage. Potted plants placed on carpet areas run the risk of carpet rot underneath, should moisture overflow or escape even with plates and containers placed underneath.

    Aquariums – like potted plants, aquarium stands can leave rust marks to floors and can cause carpet rot if placed on carpets. Furthermore, if placed on carpets the weight of the aquarium filled with water may cause permanent indentations and damage in the base of the carpet pile.

    No Smoking Policy – all our properties have a strict ‘no smoking inside’ policy.

    Tenant painting – tenants should not paint any part of the property themselves, painting can only be carried out by experienced, professional painters with our written permission.

    Fixtures and Fittings – if you wish to install or remove any fixtures or fittings, you must request this beforehand in writing.

    Smoke Alarms – if you believe for any reason the smoke alarm/s installed are not working, or the batteries are not functioning, please let us know immediately. Protect your safety by being vigilant and report to us any issues, to ensure your safety in the case of a fire.

    Picture Hooks – if you wish to install any new picture hooks, please let us know in writing what type of hooks you wish to use. Please assess the type of walls that are in the property and the type of picture hooks that are suitable. We will let you know in writing before you are permitted to install appropriate picture hooks.

    Washing or dry cleaning curtains – most curtains and netting are machine washable but it is vitally important that you check the labels before you wash them. Drapes are often only be suitable for dry cleaning, so please check all labels first. In most cases curtains should only be hand washed. Incorrect washing could result in damage and may need to be replaced at your cost.

    House cracking and movement – please let us know if you notice any cracks to walls, ceilings and movement. If cracks were in place when you moved in, please let us know if you notice them worsening or growing larger. Please either report these in writing or point them out to us at the routine inspection.

    Wall movement – cracking to walls and ceilings can create extensive damage. Be sure to report to us immediately should you notice any wall movement or cracks to walls or ceilings.

    Termites – will quickly eat through a property and can cause extensive damage. Signs like wood becoming brittle (doorways, skirting boards, wood roof beams etc). Sounding hollow when tapped or knocked and/or with the presence of mud deposits are the tell-tale signs of termites, other than obvious signs of seeing termites themselves. Another warning sign inside can be blistering/lifting paint to inside walls, as they are known to eat away the paper backing to gyprock walls, allowing the plaster to crumble away allowing the termites to come to the wall surface and staying just under the paint lining. Wood lying around outside and even wooden furniture outside can attract and encourage them.

    Dripping outdoor taps next to the house can also cause damp and favourable conditions for termites to be attracted. If you see any signs of termites, or termite damage please bring this to our attention immediately.

    Pools and spas – the legal safety requirements – it is law that swimming pools or spas on private residential properties in Victoria provide safety barriers to restrict access to the pool or spa. Every private swimming pool or spa capable of containing a depth of water exceeding 300mm must have a childproof safety barrier; this includes portable and inflatable pools.

    A building permit is required prior to installing the barrier. Safety barriers, even when provided, are no substitute for adult supervision of toddlers and children who are playing in or near swimming pools or spas.

    To ensure that your safety barrier remains effective, all occupants should:

  • fit and maintain correct safety measures to gates, doors and windows (e.g. self-closing, self-latching devices, fly screens).

  • make sure you remove any items such as chairs, boxes, pool pumps that could be used to climb the barrier to access the pool.

  • Immediately report to your Agent or Landlord (if no agent) any concerns, issues or faults with safety barriers.

    Carpet cleaning – all carpets need to be cleaned on a six to twelve month basis, simply because of general living.  The best time is after winter or at the end of a wet period.

    We recommend professional steam cleaning and we do not recommend the use of ‘do-it-yourself’ hire machines.

    Note: at time of vacating we require a copy of a receipt to show the carpets have been professionally cleaned.

    In the kitchen

    Chopping boards – please ensure chopping boards are used on bench tops, so that bench tops are preserved from unnecessary cut marks and associated damage.

    Bench-top joins – be on the lookout for joins in the bench-top that have gaps, and the surface laminate has started to bulge or lift at a join. Please let us know if this is starting to occur as this may indicate moisture has seeped into a join and is swelling the chipboard wood underneath. Unfortunately this separating join in the bench-top will greatly worsen over time due to swelling chipboard affected by moisture underneath!

    Dishwashers provided as part of your tenancy need to be cleaned on a regular basis, and any build-up of food remains removed including filter cleaned.

    Grouting/Tiling/Taps – be sure that if you notice grouting or silicone sealing coming off/loose around any tiles near or around the taps and/or taps dripping/leaking to let us know by a repair request. If moisture should get in between tiles, this can damage the wall behind, and even seep into chipboard that is usually present in bench tops causing swelling and irreversible damage to the wood.

    Oven and stove tops – ensure that stove tops, grillers and ovens are kept free of burnt on food. Food, crumbs and spills when left long enough become burnt on, blackened and carbonised, making them very difficult to remove. Please use care when using scourers as these may scratch and damage enamel surfaces.

    When cleaning stoves/ovens use a spray-on oven cleaner. Be sure to read and follow the product instructions carefully, as even though these types of products are very effective, they tend to contain harmful caustic fumes and require rubber gloves to be worn at all times when using the product. Check that the products you are using are suitable to the type of surface you are applying them to, some surfaces like stainless steel may become permanently marked/stained using an oven cleaner. This oven has baked on food and grease making it very difficult and costly to clean.

    Exhaust fans/vents and range hoods – please ensure any vents and range hood filters are kept clean. Ensure the exhaust fan cover is clean and kept free of grime build up. From time to time these should be taken down and removed to be soaked in hot soapy water, and then scrubbed clean. Please use extreme caution when removing these. If you believe this is unsafe (i.e. a high exhaust fan), then let us know so we can arrange to have these cleaned.

    Cupboards and drawers – the interior of most cupboards and drawers have a lining that is easy to clean. However substances spilled like sauces will, if left, prove difficult to remove and may leave permanent stains. Cupboard shelving, doors, doorframes and inside drawers/cutlery tidies should be cleaned at least on an annual basis.

    In the wet areas- bathroom, toilet and laundry

    Shower Screens – if you notice cracking to glass in shower screens or shower doors please report this to us immediately. Wired shower screen glass can crack under thermal expansion (consistent hot and cold temperatures) whereas toughened glass usually only cracks if impacted (hit by something). If the shower screen is cracked due to impact damage, in most cases a replacement will need to be paid for by the tenant.

    Blocked sinks and drains – should a sink or basin become blocked, first try a drain cleaning product like Draino. Be sure to follow the product instructions carefully and pay particular attention if you have a septic rather than a sewered system as to whether the product is safe. If the sink or basin is still blocked after treatment, please let us know so we can arrange for a plumber to attend to the problem.

    Loose tiles – should you notice loose tiles to walls, the shower recess or to tiles over the laundry trough etc, please be sure to let us know.

    Foreign objects down drains – take care not to allow children to place toys or other items down drains. If your property has a septic tank system, please do not flush foreign objects like sanitary products down the toilet. Septic tank systems are not able to process this type of material. If a plumber is employed by us to clear pipes, drains, basins or sinks and it is determined that the blockage was caused by something considered foreign, this expense will be billed to the tenant for payment.

    Wall water damage – should you notice water damage to a wall adjacent to a shower recess, bathroom basin etc please let us know immediately. This can be identified by bubbling or peeling paint, or even water or mould marks to the flooring/carpet. This usually identifies either loose tiles or a broken/leaking pipe in the wall, and will need attending to immediately to prevent further damage from occurring.

    Leaking taps – report any taps leaking either from a tap head or tap handles. This includes washing machine taps. Sometimes washing machine taps will leak only when connected to automatic washing machine hoses as the tap water pressure exposes leakage in the taps.

    Leaking toilets – water trickling or leaking into the bowl from the cistern usually indicates a worn cistern washer and needs to be fixed by a plumber. Water left to trickle into the bowl continuously may inflate your water bill and therefore needs to be reported to us when noticed. Also leaking may occur to the tap behind the toilet.

    Hot water system leaks – should you notice the hot water service leaking constantly from the valve or from the base of the unit please let us know. The leaking valve is usually fixable by a plumber, however water leaking from the base of a water storage unit usually indicates the unit has rusted through and may need replacement in the near future.

    Water restrictions – it is important for you to be aware of what water restrictions are in place for the region. Visit your local council website to find out more information.

    Watering your garden and water restrictions – we do expect you to water your lawns and gardens enough to keep them healthy. Please observe any watering restrictions that may be in place.

    Watering systems – ensure that all watering systems are working properly, and are checked regularly throughout the tenancy to ensure they continue to work effectively. Watering systems can only be used should current water restrictions allow.

    Weeding and shrub trimming – weeding of gardens beds, inside lawns, paths, paving and other outside areas are the responsibility of the tenant (unless stated otherwise on the tenancy agreement). Trimming the bushes and shrubs in and around the garden is also the responsibility of the tenant. Should you wish someone to carry out this work for you, we would be happy to recommend a service provider to you.

    Lawn maintenance – ensure that lawns are regular mowed, edged and weeded, keeping them neat and tidy. Should you wish to have someone regularly mow your lawn, let us know and we would be happy to recommend a service provider to you.

    Supplied hoses/fittings – supplied hoses, fittings and accessories must be kept in good condition and please ensure that everything is returned and in place upon vacating of the property, free of any damage.

    Rubbish – please ensure any rubbish is regularly removed from the property. This includes car parts, tyres and things like lawn clippings and other items that can be considered rubbish or general junk. Formal household rubbish and waste must only be placed inside rubbish containers (i.e. wheelie bins) and removed weekly from the property, or otherwise as required. This cannot be allowed to accumulate.

    Oil spills – any cars parked on driveways, under carports and in garages must have a drip tray placed underneath unless the vehicle does not drip any oil at all. Please ensure that any visitor’s cars are parked off the premises if they drip oil. Should oil spills/drips occur at any time, please clean it up immediately to prevent oil seeping in and permanently staining the surface. Please note any permanent staining will result in compensation being paid by the tenant.

    Parking on lawns/gardens –  it is important that at no time can cars or any type of vehicle be parked on any lawns, gardens or any area not created for, or designated as a vehicle parking area. Damage to lawns and landscaping can be costly. Engine oil drippage to gardens and lawns will also create permanent damage to the soil area, and is costly to rectify. Any damage of this type will be charged to tenants in full.


    If during your tenancy, the property is put up For Sale, there are certain rights and obligations you have as a tenant. Rest assured you cannot be asked to vacate at a moment’s notice. If you have further questions please do not hesitate to speak with one of our friendly staff.


    Under extreme circumstances a lease can occasionally be broken. There are penalties involved with this and the named tenant/s are ultimately responsible for the lease until a new and approved resident is found. Please refer to your lease for further information.


    Rent will be charged until the day the keys are returned. Please allow 2 business days for a final inspection to be carried out.


    For further information on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, view this Consumer Affairs Guidebook.


    Inform your property manager that you are vacating the property and get a checklist of things that need to be done to give you the best chance of getting your bond refunded.  Organise a time and date for the final inspection – allowing time for a thorough clean of the house and steam cleaning of the carpets after all your possessions are moved.

    Transferring to new services

    Investigate the local services in the neighbourhood you are moving to – doctors, schools, shopping centres, chemists and vets. Tell your doctor, optometrist, dentist and other medical specialists of your new address and arrange to get copies of all records. If you have children, advise their school of your move and have records transferred. Ensure you have all your children’s immunisation records safely stored and easily accessible.

    Consider a garage sale

    Organise a garage sale for any unwanted items or contact your local charity to donate items. Some Barry Plant offices have garage sale pointer boards that you can borrow.

    Insurance and quotes

    Inform your insurance company about your upcoming change of address and circumstances – enquire about any possible impact on your insurance policies such as house and content and vehicle.  Arrange quotes and cover notes for your move if necessary. Finalise home and contents insurance to cover your new home from day one.

    Back up your computer

    Back up all the files on your computer and store the back up safely at another location. While most computers are robust enough to not be worried about being moved, it’s better safe than sorry.

    Book your removal, start packing

    A high priority should be booking your removalist (or organising the hire of a van if you’re moving yourself) and ordering then collecting boxes to use for packing. Buy packing tape and a dispenser and big black markers to write on the boxes. Start packing things unlikely to be used before moving day.

    Redirect your mail

    Arrange the redirection of mail (though Australia Post), newspaper and magazine subscriptions and home deliveries.

    Organise your electricity and other services

    Contact YourPorter to arrange water, phone, internet, pay TV, electricity and gas to be connected at your new address at least four days before moving.

    Arrange a date for your services to be disconnected at your current location.  But ensure that date is after the final inspection by your property manager.

    Inform people of your change of address

    Contact service providers, including financial institutions and your tax agent, to advise them of your change of address. Tell your friends and your employer your new address too.


    Clean the oven. Leave instruction books for appliances such as the stove, dishwasher, and air conditioner for the new occupant.

    Pack an overnight bag

    Pack a ‘first day bag’ including all your usual bathroom needs to tie you over until you start unpacking.

    Check your car tyres

    If hiring a trailer to move things yourself, pump up your car tyres.

    Organise to return keys to the agency

    Collect all keys for the household including the garage, gates and any padlocks.

    Moving day

    Organise the move

    Allocate tasks to different people in the family and helpers. Don’t forget to remove your possessions from garages, sheds and around the garden.

    Pack valuables like jewellery and important documents in a bag to take with you, and lock them in the car boot for safe keeping.

    Turn the hot water system off at the old address. Switch on the hot water system at your new address.

    Keep your pets happy

    Consider asking family or friends to look after your pets on moving day.  Pack a pet travel kit including food and bowls, lead, treats, can opener, a favourite toy and their sleeping rug, blanket or bed.  Research the best way to acclimatize pets to a new environment.


    Lock all doors and windows each time you leave the house.

    Clean the house, clean the carpets

    Once you have removed all your possessions you can organise to give the house a thorough clean.  You might like to book professional cleaners for this. Remember to keep your electricity and gas connected until after the house has been cleaned.

    Once the house has been cleaned, get the carpets steam cleaned. You will need a receipt for this to provide to your Property Manager.

    Take a final walk around your old house to make sure you haven’t left anything behind.